Friday, February 1, 2008

The Wisdom of the Saints

A reflection based on a writing of St. John Bosco and the first Mass reading for January 31 (2 Sam 7:18-19, 24-29) by Mother Maria-Michael Newe, OSB.

I think what we read from St. John Bosco this morning (cf. second Matins reading for January 31) is so true. He writes that it's easer to become angry with someone than to restrain oneself. Each of us has anger and we all have to find an appropriate way of dealing with it. Often we find our anger doesn't really have a thing to do with the person in front of us-- I know I have to look back a few hours. So it's okay to feel anger, but we have to find a way of appropriately controlling it.

The other thing I wanted to mention is David. Today's first reading is one of my favorite scenes of David. I have a little trouble with the way he goes around lopping everybody's head off, but today we see that at the center of his life was his relationship with God. He comes into the sanctuary so humbly and asks, "Who am I?"

Would that we could be the same way before God: "Who am I that I get to be here? And Who art Thou?"

No comments: