Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"Peace I Leave With You"

A reflection on the Gospel for April 22, 208 (Jn 14:27-31a) by Mother Maria-Michael Newe, OSB.

Every morning in the Benedictus we pray, “He will give light to those in darkness, those who dwell in the shadow of death, and guide us into the way of peace.” (Lk 1:79) The way of peace is something we learn, and we learn it over and over again-- what does it mean? I think as we get older it becomes more dear to us because we learn how we can be instigators of disturbance and how we can be persons of peace.

Misunderstandings are often the core of a lack of peace. That’s why it’s so important to have discernment--to be able to discern where the disturbance is coming from? Does the situation need to rile me up? If it riles me up, why am I riled up?” The key question: "WHY?"

So we have in the gospel, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give with you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.” (Jn 14:27) How many people act in fear. Fear can cause us to act wrongly and make poor decisions. So when we’re making decisions based on fear, whatever that fear may be, we need to stand back and say “Why are we afraid?”

We have to know where our own weaknesses are and what can incite us to disturb the peace of others. Disturbance, distress gives occassion to the devil. The devil does not want peace in a house. I think in ordere to live with others is peace, there has to be a good balance of sensitivity towards one another. And this comes by knowing one another. By talking to people I understand much better where they’re coming from, I'm no longer bothered when they say certain things. But if we don’t know one another then we don’t have the opportunity to understand one another. It’s important to know one another – the fun side, the serious side. Everyone is so different. Something said to one person isn’t going to mean the same to another. Interpretation is incredibly important.

No comments: