Saturday, November 1, 2008

What Matters Is Christ

A reflection by Mother Maria-Michael Newe, OSB.

The call comes. There’s a specific moment when each of us are touched by a word by a gesture by something. And I was thinking of the call of Philip and Nathanael where Jesus says “Because I said to you I saw you under the fig tree do you believe?” (Jn 1:50) Do you believe? That’s what binds us all together—the fact that we believe together. Our focus has to be on Christ. Any time it’s anything other we drag.

We hear about this even with Peter. After the Resurrection when Jesus and Peter are walking along the beach and Peter turns to the Beloved Disciple and says, “Lord what about this man?” And Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come what is that to you? Follow me.” (Jn 21:21-23) I love that. It’s like Jesus is saying “Your concern has to be: you follow me. I’ll take care of the rest. I’m the capstone. I’ll keep it together. Your duty is to follow me, keep your eyes on me.”

Cut out the things that distract you from Christ. Whether it be “O this person has that gift. This person has this. O this person gets to do that.” There is nothing better than to follow Christ.

No comments: