Monday, March 2, 2009

God's Prayer Intention

A reflection on the first Mass reading for February 26, 2009 (Dt 30:15-20) by Mother Maria-Michael Newe, OSB.

When I heard the reading for this morning I was thinking about how sometimes you hear people say, “O that’s so dated.” God’s word is not dated. It is appropriate for every age. In the Book of Deuteronomy we hear Moses telling the people, “Choose life!” And you could read the same thing on a bill board today, “Choose life!”

What if you went to the prayer board* and you read a prayer intention that said:
That my children would obey me.
That they would walk with me.
That they would love my commandments.
I want to bless them.
That they would choose Me.
Please pray,
Your loving Father.

How would you respond? How do you respond when you read how parents anguish over their children? How much more the Father in Heaven? He anguishes over our choices. He watches us carefully, loving us, every moment waiting and thinking “Will they choose Me?” Today, choose Him. Make it a point to choose His ways. That He can look at us and say, “I get to bless them!”

*The 'prayer board' is a bulletin board in the cloister where the nuns post all prayer intentions given them.

No comments: