Sunday, May 17, 2009

Be Permanent in My Love

A reflection on the Gospel for Sunday, May 17, 2009 (John 15:9-17) by Mother Maria-Michael Newe, OSB.

We hear in the Gospel today: “Jesus said to His disciples, ‘As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love.” In Spanish the word remain is “permanente”. Permanent. Hearing that gives this verse a whole different sense. It’s like a permanent marker--it doesn’t matter what you do it’s not coming out, so when you make that mark make sure you want it there. “Be permanent in my love,” says our Lord.

Later He says, “If you keep my commandments you will remain in my love.” What an assurance! Love isn’t just a warm fuzzy feeling. It’s an actual doing, it’s an active verb—loving! And it means following the commandments. By doing that we’re sure we’re living in God’s love. There are days when we’re not feeling all warm and fuzzy and that’s when we put our mind to it and tell ourselves “I’m going to follow God’s law and by doing that I know I’m in His love.” By doing that we’re also remaining in the love of our community, our family, our Church.

No comments: