Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Christ is All in All

I have a prayer that I received when I entered the monastery that some of you may recognize. From my own experience this prayer one that simply becomes one’s life. You pray it when you’re young and then you become that prayer as you get older. There’s a whole different way of looking at it in the different stages of life. It’s about a continual letting go . It’s called the “Suscipe of St. Ignatius of Loyola”:
Take Lord and receive all:
my liberty, my memory,
my understanding, and my entire will.
You have given all to me, now I return it.
Give me only your love and your grace O Lord,
that is enough for me.
Grant me only these, Lord Jesus, and I shall desire nothing more.

I do believe that as we grow in the spiritual life there comes a day when we can honestly say that we desire nothing more than to know His will and to see Him. I think that’s pure gift, because we all have desires, we all have somewhere hidden ambitions that get uncovered throughout our life. And we discover how empty they are and how full He is. When we kneel before Him, giving all to Him and we receive all, that really is enough. It really is enough.