Saturday, September 26, 2009

Being Content

A reflection on the Mass readings for September 18, 2009 (1 Tim 6:2c-12; Luke 8:1-3) by Mother Maria-Michael Newe, OSB.

In my reflections this morning, the word ‘contentment’ kept coming up. I first thought of this word in relation to what St. Benedict says in Chapter 7 of our Holy Rule where it reads: “The sixth degree of humility is that a monk be content with all that is mean and poor and in all that is enjoined on him esteem himself a sinful and unworthy laborer saying with the prophet ‘I have been brought to nothing and I knew it not. I have become as a beast before you and yet I am always with you.’” Anytime we compare ourselves it’s our own undoing. We will never be content when we compare because it’s always seeing the grass greener on the other side-- no matter what it is. If you’re wearing a sweater and someone else is wearing another, you can’t see your own as the other one must be nicer. But for one to be content, one really has to stop thinking of oneself-- to be selfless in what we’re doing.

This life is not easy but if we’re living only for ourselves it’s not going to get better. The ego grows by staring at it. To be content with what we have and what we do is really the key to living a life in peace. What I heard in my lectio today I found really “telling”. When I do my lectio I try to take a word from the First Reading of Mass and from the Gospel reading and put them together and see what they do. And today’s was really thought provoking as my word from the First Reading was, “be content,” and from the Gospel, “accompany Him.”

No comments: