Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Our Lady's Advent Message

A reflection by Mother Maria Michael Newe, OSB.

It doesn’t hurt to repeat the words of Our Lady to Juan Diego when he needed comfort.  We’ve all been like Juan Diego trying to hurry and get our work done and in the meantime avoiding God so that we won’t get disturbed.  But God wants us to be disturbed, He wants to stop us and help us see through the eyes of heaven.  Sometimes we think things are in our control and we forget to look to the One who truly is in control.  Nothing happens without the consent of God, nothing.  It’s so important to learn that the things of heaven come first.  That’s what St Benedict say’s about the Abbot, “Let him first seek the Kingdom of God.”    We have to have our eyes on eternity.  That gaze has to become stronger in us.  And who is eternity but Christ?

So listen to the words of our Lady of Guadalupe:
Listen, put it into your heart my dearest son that the thing that disturbs you, the thing that afflicts you is really nothing.  Do not let your heart be disturbed.  Am I not here, I who am your mother?  Are you not under my shadow and my protection?  Am I not the source of your joy?  Are you not in the hollow of my mantle in the crossing of my arms?  Do you need anything more?  Let nothing else worry or disturb you.

That’s an important question: do you need anything more?