Saturday, September 20, 2014

God Never Fails

A reflection by Mother Maria Michael Newe, OSB.

Earlier this week, be heard in Mass the reading from 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13 on love.  If God is love, then you can replace the word “God” for the word “love” in that reading and then discover who God is:

If I speak in human and angelic tongues
but do not have God,
I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal.
And if I have the gift of prophecy
and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge;
if I have all faith so as to move mountains,
but do not have God, I am nothing.
If I give away everything I own,
and if I hand my body over so that I may boast
but do not have God, I gain nothing.

God is patient, God is kind.
God is not jealous, God is not pompous,
God is not inflated, He is not rude,
God does not seek His own interests,
God is not quick-tempered, He does not brood over injury,
God does not rejoice over wrongdoing
but rejoices with the truth.
God bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things, endures all things.

God never fails.

God never fails!  And that is His prayer for us as well, that we never fail Him.  The only way we can do that is by imitating Him.  Now I ask you:  Can you put your name in front of those sentences and be confident that it gives a good picture of who you are?  Strive to be able to put your name there so that passage can describe who you are.